Maryland Society of Integrative Medicine
Our legislation, The Patient’s Access to Integrative Health Care Act of 2020, is now law in Maryland.
The mission of the Maryland Society of Integrative Medicine (MSIM) is to support the use of responsible, safe and effective integrative medical practice by physicians, dentists and other health care providers, and to enhance the public’s access to such practice, in the State of Maryland.
In support of our mission, MSIM will:
The Patient’s Access to Integrative Health Care Act of 2020
The Patient’s Access to Integrative Health Care Act of 2020, created and supported by our Society, passed both the Maryland House and Senate unanimously and was enacted into law effective July 1 of 2020. By enjoining health occupations boards and disciplinary panels from taking action against health care practitioners solely on the basis of their use of integrative diagnostic and treatment methods, this legislation enhances the ability of physicians and other health care professionals to use such methods and patients to have access to them.
Our 2022 Agenda
Passing the Patient’s Access act last year was a foundational piece of work, but ongoing actions are needed to enable this legislation to achieve its aims. To that end, MSIM's agenda includes the following:
- Place a MSIM member on the Maryland Board of Physicians
- Provide expert review by integrative medicine practitioners in Maryland Board of Physicians disciplinary cases that involve integrative medicine
- Promote a legislative letter to the Maryland Board of Physicians providing guidance on how to approach oversight of integrative medicine
- Provide a series of webinars to MSIM integrative medicine practitioner members, potentially for CME credit, on how to align your practice with the new law and minimize legal exposure, and national controversies in integrative medicine law and regulation.
- Provide a series of webinars to the public on clinical integrative medicine including gastrointestinal disorders, hormone replacement, and Lyme/coinfections/mold.
We Need Your Support
To continue our work and accomplish our 2021 agenda, we need your support. Please join us by clicking the icon below. Membership includes access to our webinars.